Is there a Strong Smell of Natural Gas?
Do You Suspect a Gas Leak?
Mercaptan is an odorant that smells like rotten eggs. It is added to natural gas as a safety measure to allow natural gas to be easily detected.
If the smell is strong, take the following measures:
- Turn down the thermostat for your heating system and/or turn off other fuel-burning equipment.
- Do not touch light switches, use the telephone or electrical appliances/equipment.
- Leave your home and call Manitoba Hydro from a neighbour's home.
Natural Gas 24 Hour Emergency Numbers:
- 204-480-5900, in Winnipeg
- 1-888-624-9376 (1-888-MBHYDRO), outside Winnipeg